Akrotiri is an archaeological site in the southwestern tip of Santorini, and one of the most importand archaeological excavations in the Aegean.
Akrotiri was buried in volcanic ash by the Minoan eruption (Theran eruption) in the middle of the second millennium BC, about 1627 BC.
The first habitation at the site dates back to the Late Neolithic Period (4th millenium BC). By the Middle and early Late Bronze Age (ca 20th - 17th centuries BC) the settlement of Akrotiri was one of the main urban centers and ports of the Aegean. It was a populous city of 50 acres, with a excellent city plan and an elaborate drainage system. The multi-storeyed buildings were decorated with wall-paintings (Frescos), furniture and vessels.
First signs of habitation at Akrotiri came to light in the second half of the 19th century. However, the city discovered in 1967 by Professor Spyros Marinatos after systematic excavations in the area.
After Marinatos death (1974) excavations continued under the direction of Professor Christos Doumas.
Nowadays, the new roof is in place and the archaeological site open for the visitors.
For further information about Akrotiri, click here.